KFS also provides ‘support professionals’ to people of all ages requiring extra help towards greater independence. ‘Support Professional’ helps provide a behavioral intervention. For children, a support professional refers to a Behavior Specialist assisting a child at school by first observing, taking data to come up with a behavioral plan. Then the next still will be consulting with the child’s family and teacher, wherein the specialist can highlight areas of concern and develop a plan for behavior modification. The support professional then helps the child on a daily basis – first building rapport while meeting them where they are at physically & emotionally – then challenging the child to develop further self-sufficiency. The goal of a is to assist the child without hovering or embarrassing them, while making discrete modifications to their behavior and classroom environment to set the child up for success. Oftentimes, the support professional will act as though they are an extra teacher in the classroom so that nobody knows which child is requiring extra help, to protect the child’s privacy. The ultimate goal of support professional is that the child will reach a great er independence at school, with a greater awareness of how to self regulate him/her own body.
How do you know if your child would benefit from a ‘support professional’?
- Has your child’s teacher mentioned that your son/daughter ‘checks out’ regularly in class, and therefore, has great difficulty completing tasks?
- Does your child struggle with sensory integration or an attention deficit?
- Does your child have difficulty with executive function, fine motor skills, impulsivity, following instructions or being part of a group?
- Is your child ‘acting out’ and being sent away from group/educational activities because of behavioral issues? Is he/she ‘in trouble’ most of the time, and missing out on vital learning?
- Has your child’s school mentioned that without extra assistance, your child may be excluded because of behavioral issues or special needs that they can not reasonably accommodate?
Schools We Have Partnered With
- JCC San Francisco & Peninsula
- AltSchool– San Francisco & Palo Alto
- Tiny Giants Preschool in SF
- Golden Gate Guppies in SF
- Sweet Peas Preschool in SF
- Brandeis in SF
- La Scuola in SF
- Bright Horizons 2nd Generation in South SF
- Bright Horizons Marin Commons
- Hillbrook in Los Gatos
If it has been suggested that your child receive extra help, or if you feel as though his/her educational future is jeopardized by any of the above issues, we can help you. Please contact us for a consultation.