KFS School Program Mission Statement
KFS School Program revolves around 4 essential pillars for a child’s well-being:
1. MIND 2. BODY 3. SOCIAL/EMOTIONAL 4. TECHNOLOGY INTEGRATION
“Only children believe they are capable of everything”. Our educational inspiration stems from believing in the potential and strength of each child. We actively guide every aspect of each child’s individuality, character and well-being on a personal level and in a group setting. We provide each child with a comprehensive environment to nurture his/her learning style through their own curiosity, passion for learning, and social interaction. We strive to create opportunities for learning, exploration, creativity and self-expression. Our approach is to provide a smaller classroom setting, with one-on-one attention, allowing our environment to be warm and welcoming. We encourage children’s ability to make choices, problem solve, master skills and develop relationships.
Our mission is to provide every child with a Strong Academic Curriculum and learning experience that enables Sensory Integration as well as Social Activities. We strive to build on strong Academic Standards (aligned with Common Core Standards) with an understanding of the needs of the developing individual across all ages. Our academic lessons create a unique, individualized education plan for each student, allowing gifted students to progress as quickly as they like while simultaneously ensuring that remedial students get the extra instruction they need.
- Academic Learning Needs: Children learn at their own pace, according to their interests and strengths, and in step with their individual style (organically, freely, and joyfully).
- Sensory Needs for Learning: It is difficult for children who crave for sensory stimulation to participate in a regular school setting and may be challenging to control and redirect to be able to learn in a certain limited time and pace. In our environment, children typically do very well as it provides low class size, and lots of opportunities for hands on learning and movement throughout their day.
**Regular assessments will be held to ensure the student’s performance on grade level.
We offer Yoga and Breath Control on a daily basis as a natural integration of our program.
- Yoga has a calming effect on the central nervous system and helps develop self-regulation and body awareness. Yoga also fosters coordination and balance and improves motor skills. Better body awareness is one of the greatest benefits of a Yoga practice for Children. The children get excellent proprioceptive and vestibular input through asanas (postures) like downward facing dog and triangle pose. Twisting poses that compress the muscles also provide joint compressions. Standing and balancing poses help develop stability, strength, and coordination. Moving from back bends to forward bends to twists gives the vestibular system rich input, which helps a child feel calm and grounded.
- Breath Control is helpful for calming the central nervous system. By using correct breathing techniques, a sensory-seeking child can be calmed. Deep breathing also helps with self-regulation and improving self-awareness, both key components to helping sensory avoiders be at peace in their bodies.
The importance of social and emotional well-being for our students is the core reason why we are integrating a highly recognized Social Skills curriculum in our classes.
- Think Social is a core ‘Social Thinking curriculum’. The curriculum provides step-by-step methods for teaching social, cognitive and communicative skills to students who have these challenges that affect their school and home life. Teaching students the basics of working and thinking in a group, it addresses how to use and interpret language to understand the contexts where real communication happens.
- The Zones of Regulation is a curriculum geared toward helping students gain skills in consciously regulating their actions, which in turn leads to increased control and problem solving abilities. Using a cognitive behavior approach, the curriculum’s learning activities are designed to help students recognize when they are in different states called “zones,” with each of four zones represented by a different color. In the activities, students also learn how to use strategies or tools to stay in a zone or move from one to another. Students explore calming techniques, cognitive strategies, and sensory supports so they will have a toolbox of methods to use to move between zones.
4. TECHNOLOGY INTEGRATION
Learning environments that successfully integrate technology, offer their students greater opportunities to create and construct knowledge, as well as provide teachers with variety of resources to support all learning styles (Visual-Aural-Write-Kinesthetic).
Utilizing instructional technologies allow students new means of demonstrating their understanding and stretch creativity and self expression through “Cause and Effect”. Technology tools give the advantage of endless teaching methods that engage intelligences and explore ways to implement them in teaching and assessing students differently based on their individual intellectual style of learning.
For more information on KFS School call 415-971-8214